This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Feature requests?

Coordinator
Oct 4, 2008 at 12:11 PM
What would you like to see improved or added to the Silverlight Multi File Uploader?
Oct 21, 2008 at 8:35 PM
Hi, thanks for a good control.
It would be nice to see a sample dealing with SQL server to upload files to.
Nov 4, 2008 at 1:26 PM
Hi, it would be nice to have the upload folder configurable, and not fixed inside the service.
Coordinator
Dec 8, 2008 at 5:23 PM
The Upload folder is now configurable using the Web.config file.

It's included in the latest source code:
http://www.codeplex.com/SLFileUpload/SourceControl/ListDownloadableCommits.aspx
Dec 24, 2008 at 7:00 PM
I like the gadget.  I use it to upload images so I've been modifying the source to add an "album/folder" name to upload into.  I will most likely try to add a preview of the images in the list.

Great job as is. 
Dec 29, 2008 at 7:12 PM
Great control! I have two feature suggestions:
The first would be to have an uploadfolder parameter on the object rather than relying on a config setting; A single directory for uploads is too limiting.
Second would be to allow the user to specify a different httphandler. This would let a developer do something like saving to database rather than using event handlers.

Dec 30, 2008 at 8:45 PM
Edited Dec 30, 2008 at 8:54 PM
I also would love to have the ability to specify the upload directory as a parameter instead of in a config file. I want to use this to upload files to a photo album and have it be creating or adding to a specified album. I'll need to have it possible to specify the folder to dump the images in.

This is a great start for what I need. Thanks a ton. It'll take some work, but this should be a great improvement over the Flash uploader I'm using now.

Edit: Looks like I can do it with the FinishedFileUpload and get the CustomParam there. Thanks!
Jan 20, 2009 at 1:34 PM
FASTER !

Even on high speed connection it's slow. The handler is better on this topic but I like the WCF behavior more.

Thanks for your work.
Jan 27, 2009 at 6:39 AM

I've been using this control for a while now, and really like it.  However, occasionally I have people use it with large files and poor networks.  They'll begin uploading a large file and then experience network trouble part way through.  It would be nice to be able to retry/resume at that point.

Thanks!

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:51 AM
I haven't found a way of uploading files with their folder stucture intact - this would be a great feature. For example, if I open up the 'select files' dialog in a folder that contains 2 .txt files and another folder with 3 .doc files, selecting all files/folders and clicking 'OK' will only end up uploading the .txt files. It would be great if the control could upload not only the 2 txt files, but also the 3 .doc files and place them in a subfolder by the same name as the original.
Coordinator
Mar 15, 2009 at 1:08 PM
Hi Nickcom,

That would indeed be very nice. However, it's not supported by Silveright. Security prevents you from getting any info of the folder the files are in, and you also can't select subfolders to upload. It's too bad, but also understandable from a security perspective.

Michiel
Apr 26, 2011 at 9:47 PM

I'd like to see a way to include data on each upload in the Silverlight grid like a title, description, author, etc.  The user would be able to select the file, enter the data in the grid next to the "pending" message, and then click upload.  A new http handler could be used to get the additional field data for inclusion in a database/XML file or other data store.

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:01 PM

I would like to see the properties of the file sent up similar to using a normal file upload control or better yet, populate the Request.Files collection and pass it off to a virtual method so we can do what we want with it.   I don't want to write files to the filesystem but rather stream them (well, chuncked append in reality) into a database.

Coordinator
Jun 15, 2011 at 7:42 PM

You can use the FileFinished method for that. After the file has been  uploaded, you can move it to the database.

You can do whatever you want there.

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:45 PM

That doesn't solve the problem of not getting the original properties of the file such as dateCreated, lastModified, etc.

Coordinator
Jun 15, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Created / modified etc info of a file is not available in Silverlight untrusted applications.

It's only available when a user "installs" the Silverlight app:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.io.fileinfo(v=vs.95).aspx

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Great control and thanks for sharing it!

I use the control exclusively for uploading images, so I would like to see a display mode which would show the thumbnails of the files being uploaded. If you could toggle between file detail list view and thumbnail view that would really be great.

Thanks again!